Monday, July 16, 2012

ISN Obsessed


I’m obsessed with interactive notebooks. Seriously, I'll make anything I can into an interactive notebook.

I was introduced to them two years ago by the amazing science teacher on my team. This year I started them with my pre-algebra classes and I’m officially in love. This summer I’m teaching four different classes and doing a different ISN with each class.

To start out we set up some sections and personalized the covers. I came across this Math About Me idea a couple months ago at Middle School Survival Guide and thought it was so fantastic. The kids come up with all sorts of numbers that are significant in their lives and decorate their notebook with all the math in their lives. Hers is certainly more fun and colorful, but I tried to keep mine fairly simple (decoration wise) since the summer is short and I wanted to try to get started asap.

I think was a good start to just simply get them thinking about numbers and let me get to know a little bit about them (and vice versa, they loved reading mine and getting to know some things about me).  Some of the stuff they came up with to put on theirs was great.  Before the summer is over I'm going to try to take pictures of theirs to use as examples for future kids.


With the interactive notebook it’s so important (and fun!) to get involved yourself and to make your own so here’s mine:



This is the one I made during the school year before I found the awesome Numbers About Me idea:

Although the cover wasn't math related, it let the kids express themselves.  I was able to learn a little about who they are and what they like to do.  Having the covers personalized is crucial because I want to kids to form a sense of attachment to their book.

17 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    I love this! I had to pin this wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Make sure you go check out
      http://asurvivalguidetomiddleschool.blogspot.com/2011/09/math-science-journals-part-ii.html

      I saw the idea there and hers is awesome!

      Delete
  2. Sarah, I really like how you got them to personalize it with pictures from different Magazines, I think i'll do that too. I'm very new to Interactive notebooks....not really sure how to start using them, do you have any examples of interactive notebooks for teaching English or any links to learn more about them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used magazines to decorate mine but I actually didn't have enough to bring for the kid. Instead I brought them to the computer lab and had them find their pictures online and just print them out. I had them open a PowerPoint and they could print up to two pages of pictures on the color printer. I also gave them the option to bring any pictures from home so I had some kids go home and bring in magazine clippings and some even brought in copies of photographs too. The key though is that after they were done, I used clear packing tape to wrap the front and back covers to make them super durable.

      This site has some more information for different subjects:
      http://interactive-notebooks.wikispaces.com/
      but I would suggest looking on Pinterest, I've seen tons of english ideas posted on there.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I came across this and thought I'd share...a language arts blog with great interactive notebook ideas (read through it, some of his ideas are posted back in like may)

      http://themiddleschoolmouth.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Will be using this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What did you use to attach the scrapbook paper on your Algebra I ISN? Did you put anything on top to protect it like Mod Podge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I "laminated" it using clear packing tape. I do the same with the student's books so they don't fall apart or get damaged.

      Delete
  6. This is a fantastic idea!! Thank you for sharing it!! My sixth graders will love this.
    Michele
    Coffeecupsandlessonplans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the idea! I've set up a rubric to use when I have my kids do this in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn - are you willing to share your rubric? I'm in the process of creating one now...

      Delete
  8. Sweet! What size book do you use? That looks like a 200-page composition book, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sarah,
    I having started teaching since 1995 but I think I got alot to learn from you! I love your blog and thanx for all the sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What sort of materials do you supply your students with for this? How long does it take?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah! I know this post is almost 4 years old, but I am an online teacher and I would like to use this and some of your other interactive notebook ideas to create virtual notebooks for my students. May I do this, and link back to your site?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sarah! I came across your blog last year while searching for ideas to setup a math INB. Thank you for sharing and explaining everything in detail. Its been of great help to a beginner like me. I will be using some of your ideas for my student INB's this year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...