Sunday, September 16, 2012

Organization!


#msSunFunSo I wasn't going to post these pictures, but then I saw the e-mail yesterday that today's Sunday Funday theme is organization and I couldn't help it.  I have said before that I like things to be organized because it makes me happy and less stressed.  My thought on organizing is that every single little thing needs to have a spot so that at all times I know where to find everything.
The main reason for this is that I'm naturally quite a messy person.  I have a tendency to pile things and put things down somewhere random and then forget where I put it.  Then begins the searching and trying to remember where I saw it last which is so frustrating to me.  So to combat that, I focus on putting things down where they belong.  Last year I started getting into the habit of a quick clean up at the end of the day to return all the small items I used to their homes and it worked well to keep everything neat and easy to find.

So what I have to share today is my desk.  My desk is home to tons of items and like everything else, they all need to have a spot.  Each drawer holds similar types of items that I feel belong together.

This is the top left drawer.  It is the home for small office type supplies (paper clips, rubber bands, push pins) and pens/pencils that I have a lot of.

This is the next drawer down.  It is all of my art supplies (markers, crayons, colored pencils, window crayons, sharpies) and my favorite pens.  I keep them in the trays they came in so that I don't lose any.  If I see that I've taken out like three of the black pens it means I need to put some away because they might get lost soon.
This is the bottom drawer.  This drawer is adhesive type stuff (glue gun, tape, glue).  Since taking this picture I moved all the stamp stuff to somewhere else and in it's spot is a shoebox that holds tape (packing tape, double sided tape, masking tape, scotch tape, extra rolls, etc) because I didn't really have a good spot for all that.

Now for the other side.  This is the top drawer on the right.  This is notepads, post-its and some particular sharpies and highlighters.

And last is the middle drawer.  The front middle section is all of the pens and markers I use regularly. If I leave them out in my pencil holders they tend to get lost.  Everything else in here is just small stuff. In the drawer itself I just put in a bunch of those little drawer organizers (I got them at HomeGoods) to make sure that there was enough spots for things.  If you look carefully here- you may notice that there is even spot where Lego Harry Potter lives, which a student last year made for me. :)

So there you have it.  My organized desk- no messy junk drawers for me!

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Some days I think that you and I might be the same person - you often echo my own thoughts.

    Organization is something that I also struggle with - I love when my students can get materials themselves and put them back where they belong, but this is the first year that I feel like I have a plan and was able to share it with the kids from day one.

    My desk drawers are still a work in progress but I've also started taking the time to clean my desk before leaving work, and it makes my evening so much more relaxing.

    For me, organization is SO necessary to combat natural messiness, but my tendancy towards perfectionism meant that unless I knew the EXACT PERFECT place to put EVERYTHING away, I would get stalled with indecision.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your classroom!

    Sarah (aka Ms. H, SarahQuilts ... Sarah from Canada?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that we have the exact same desk. It's the same beautiful shade of creamy yellow too! lol! Minus the color, I absolutely love my big, sturdy old desk. It's a treasure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I feel the urge to clean my desk now.

    Thanks for sharing
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you decide where to put things in the first place? I, like you, am a piler and a setter-downer. However, I can't decide *how* to organize - and so I haven't, yet. I was hoping that after two weeks of school I would have some ideas of where I want things but I don't, and parent night is Tuesday so I had better get cracking...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...