Friday, August 10, 2012

Algebra CCCS Word Cloud Poster

This word cloud was made using the common core algebra standards.  This morning I posted the one I had made for pre-algebra and never hung up, so I made a new one for algebra since that's what I'll be teaching this year.  I know word clouds aren't new, but I think they're awesome.

I always tell kids that algebra is all about equations and I just love that the word equations is the biggest...it's like it confirms what I already knew.  I used wordle.net and set it to use 100 words.  So these are the hundred most commonly found words in the algebra standards.  Besides just looking fun, I think this is a great kinda idea for our digital native kids because at this point most people know what a word cloud is and know the significance of words being bigger and smaller.  Something like this conveys some really important information in a simple visual way which is what I'm all about.


Want to make one?  I just copy and pasted the standards from here into a word document.  Every standard started with A-APR so I took that out because I didn't want it to show up.  Played around with the colors and fonts until I liked it and just hit print.  It prints so it takes up an entire sheet of paper which is perfect.  I'm really excited to enlarge this one and hang it up.

8 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a brilliant idea! I'm going to make this poster as well. I love your blog and it's slowly but surely getting me motivated to start blogging again which I haven't done in many too many moons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I think it's one of those "why didn't I think of this sooner" type things. I'm so glad to hear that you're going to start blogging again, I'm new to this and loving it so far.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea I'm going to this with my classes in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! What classes do you teach?

      Delete
  3. A2 Core mathematics which is algebra for 17/18 year olds and GCSE maths with is universal course for 15/16 year olds but I teach it to those who didn't pass it first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make one I'd love to see, it would be cool to compare :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome ideas! As a first year math teacher, you make me so excited to fix up my classroom and share my math knowledge with students. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you..it's been many years for me and I'm still excited for the same. Good luck & enjoy.. it's the best job ever :)

      Delete