Friday, August 4, 2017

SBG Assessment File Organization

After using standards based grading for five years now I have accumulated quite the bank of assessment questions. I didn't really have a good way of saving/organizing them and it started to get hard to find what I was looking for. I reorganized things and it made things much easier for me this year. Like my last post, I feel that there is a good change everyone has already been doing this and I'm late to the game yet again.

This was what my files looked like:

Each was an assessment I gave. In theory I planned to assess the skills in the same groups but in reality that didn't happen. So every time I gave a new quiz I'd have to look for questions from all over and then piece together a new assessment. Questions started to overlap and it was getting frustrating.



Last summer and throughout this year, I started to open them all up and reorganize them. By the way, this process is incredibly unpleasant. I have SO many assessment files and the questions are ALL over the place. I'm currently in the process of doing this job for my geometry files and it is terrible. However, it's worth it because the results are so neat and organized.

Now they look like this:


Each one contains multiple versions of the same skill. It makes it far easier to see what version 1 looked like when I want to create version 2 (or 3 or 4). It makes it so easy to print out a requiz for a kid. If I am giving a quiz on four skills I do have to open four files but it's not nearly as annoying as I thought it would be (that's what kept me from doing this originally).

Also in case you're wondering why the numbers skip, it's because our scope and sequence includes a skill list and these numbers are aligned with that. I don't assess on every single skill listed because it would be too much.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you are blogging again! Are you willing to share these assessments? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also love to see what your assessments look like. This looks great!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post here: http://everybodyisageniusblog.blogspot.com/2017/07/sbg-updates-assessment-question-design.html has some of what the assessments look like

      Delete
  3. Do you also give tests? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, no I do not. We do give common assessments at the end of each marking period though. If I taught a higher level class also I think I might consider giving tests.

      Delete
  4. Just wanted to let you know that I've been reading for a while. Thanks for another great post. Well, Knovva Academy provides training that surpasses K12 and builds strong, confident leaders of the future. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...